You could be eligible for a free boiler or free insulation with the Energy Company Obligation (ECO).
If you spend more than 10% of your income on adequately heating your home, you are deemed ‘fuel poor’. This could be due to: -
- Low household income.
- Poor insulation.
- Inefficient boiler or heating system.
- Under occupancy.
ECO funding was introduced in January 2013 to reduce the UK’s energy consumption and support people living in fuel poverty. Since its introduction, Heatwave have secured over £10million per annum, to provide insulation and heating measures to vulnerable, low income households and communities.
ECO funding works alongside the Green Deal scheme to give consumers extra support and funding for energy efficiency improvements in their homes.
ECO funding is broken down into 3 obligations:
1. The Home Heating Cost Reduction Obligation (HHCRO), also known as ‘Affordable Warmth’.
To combat fuel poverty across the UK, the ‘Affordable Warmth’ (HHCRO) initiative was set up for homeowners and private tenants on state support. Its primary focus was to provide free central heating and home insulation for vulnerable members of society, most at risk by having inadequate warmth in their homes. The elderly, disabled and young families are targeted because of the immediate risk to their health and wellbeing.
2. The Carbon Reduction Obligation (CERO).
CERO funding focuses on ‘hard to treat’ properties. The issue is usually, expensive, external wall insulation that cannot be fully covered by the Green Deal. It is available to all homeowners and private renting tenants.
3. The Carbon Savings Community Obligation (CSCO).
CSCO funding provides insulation measures to homes in specific geographical areas of low income. It also makes sure that energy suppliers deliver at least 15% of this obligation to upgrading low-income households in hard-to-reach rural areas. Its primary focus is on insulation and heating measures.
Am I eligible?
To be eligible for ECO funding you must own your own property or rent it privately. You automatically qualify for funding if you claim the following benefit:
- Pension Credit.
- Child Tax Credit (and your income is £15,860 or less).
If you are in receipt of any of the following work or income related benefits:
- Working Tax Credit (and your income is £15,860 or less).
- Income Support.
- Income based Jobseeker’s Allowance.
- Income related Employment and Support Allowance.
…one of the following conditions must also apply:
- You are responsible for a child under 16 (or under 20 if they are in education or training).
- You receive Disabled Child Premium.
- You receive Disability Premium.
- You receive Pensioner Premium.
- You are 60 or over (only if you get Working Tax Credit).
As part of the free energy assessment on your home, one of our friendly team will provide expert advice and guidance on your eligibility for ECO funding.
Heatwave provide a manufacturers warranty and a 12-month guarantee on all installations.
To claim your free boiler or insulation under ECO, call Heatwave on 01942 497 977 today.